All my friends are getting in shape. I presume it’s because 40 is either upon them or creeping in their direction. What’s my problem? I’ve been fat most of my life. I’ve never been happy with it. Why can’t I drag my ass off the couch and go for a walk or follow a diet for more than 5 minutes? What keeps me lazy when everyone else is able to overcome that and get moving? Umm. Lack of motivation. Lack of inspiration. Nope. Just the simple fact that inertia breeds inertia. I have all the intention in the world when I’m lying in bed at night. I’m gonna do it tomorrow I’m gonna change change change. Then I wake up and do the same things I always do. Make a cup of coffee. Smoke a cigarette. Turn on the TV and plant my ass.
Ok, self loathing aside, I’m thinking I will make a list of the little changes I have been able to make and that I’ve been able to keep in my life. Maybe a little self reflection and repetition will help. I dunno. It seems like a good idea.
1. I read that drinking a glass of cold water when you first wake up lowers your body temp and makes it work to heat you back up. So, while I make coffee, I stand next to the fridge and gulp some ice water. A while glass? No. But about half. It’s a start.
2. I have started doing sit-ups. Not a lot. Started with 20. Now I’m up to 35.
3. I added stretching and leg lifts today. Only some but it’s better than none, I suppose.
4. I’m using My Fitness Pal. Trying to do it every day. I used to be good at it. I’m out of the habit.
5. I heard about an app called Moves from my pal Ty. I’m using it. It’s embarrassing me to see how little I walk around.
It’s a start.